The Blood Of Jesus
Text: I John 1:6-10
Proposition: Why do we need the blood of Jesus?
In Leviticus 17:11, says, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.” In the Old Testament blood had to be shed to make atonement for their souls. Hebrews 10:3 and 4 says, “But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.” The life of an animal had to be taken to make atonement for sin. It was only a reminder of sin. It made them conscious of their sin. Jesus has given his life for our sin. It is because of our sin that Jesus had to be taken. There is no other way for us to be forgiven. Jesus blood is the only way we can be forgiven of our sin.
I. We need to be forgiven of our sin
II. We need our conscience cleansed
III. Someone had to pay the price for our sin
I. We need to be forgiven of our sin (How does Jesus blood forgive us of our sin?)
A. By faith
1. Romans 3:24-26
2. We believe Jesus blood removes our sins because God said so.
3. Jesus blood is the propitiation for our sin.
4. PROPITIATION, n. propisia'shon.
a. The act of appeasing wrath and conciliating the favor of an offended person; the act of making propitious.
b. In theology, the atonement or atoning sacrifice offered to God to assuage his wrath and render him propitious to sinners. Christ is the propitiation for the sins of men. Rom 3. 1 John 2.
5. Sin is going against the law of God. Sin angers God. There are numerous examples of God’s anger against sin in the Old Testament.
a. Exodus 32:1-14
b. Numbers 25:1-11
c. The only way we can escape the wrath of God is by the blood of Jesus.
1) Romans 5:9
2) Ephesians 2:3, 5:6
3) I Thessalonians 1:10 and 5:9
4) God has in his mercy has provided a way for us to be forgiven Jesus blood takes away his wrath.
B. If we walk in the light.
1. I John 1:6-7
2. We cannot continue in sin and have the blood of Jesus forgive us of our sin.
3. We Hebrews 10:26-31. If we have been cleansed and sanctified by the blood of Jesus and then willfully sin. We say I know this is wrong, but I am going to do it anyway. I don’t care what anyone says. We are not walking in the light. If we walk in the light and fall into sin because of the weakness of our flesh and repent. The blood of Jesus cleanses us from sin.
C. By being baptized
1. Revelation 1:5
2. Acts 22:16
3. Titus 3:3-5
4. Hebrews 10:22
5. We must be washed with water and with Jesus blood. Jesus blood washes our sins away. Baptism washes our sins away. Baptism is when our sins are washed away and we are forgiven.
II. Cleanses our conscience (How does the blood of Jesus cleanse our conscience?)
A. The blood of Jesus cleanses us from sin so we no longer have to have a guilty conscience. Our sins have been removed from us. Psalms 103:10-12.
B. We are forgiven
1. Romans 2:15
2. Our conscience never lets us forget what we have done. Our conscience makes us feel guilty. There is no escape from our conscience. Our conscience will accuse us for what we have done in the past, no matter how long ago it was.
3. Adam and Eve hid themselves from the presence of God among the trees of the garden. They wanted to escape from God. They didn’t have confidence to be with God. They knew they were guilty.
4. We can have confidence before God because we have a conscience that has been cleansed.
5. I John 3:19-21
III. To redeem us from sin (Why do we need to be redeemed?)
A. We have all sinned
1. Redeem REDEE'M, v.t. [L. redimo; red, re, and emo, to obtain or purchase.]
a. To purchase back; to ransom; to liberate or rescue from captivity or bondage, or from any obligation or liability to suffer or to be forfeited, by paying an equivalent; as, to redeem prisoners or captured goods; to redeem a pledge.
b. To repurchase what has been sold; to regain possession of a thing alienated, by repaying the value of it to the possessor.
c. In theology, to rescue and deliver from the bondage of sin and the penalties of God's violated law, by obedience and suffering in the place of the sinner, or by doing and suffering that which is accepted in lieu of the sinner's obedience.
2. God is the one who created us. We rightfully belong to him, but we have sold ourselves to sin.
a) I Kings 21:20-25
b) Romans 7:14
c) Because we have sold ourselves into sin we must be bought back.
3. Romans 3:23-25, There is redemption in Christ Jesus.
B. We can’t redeem ourselves
1. We are to far in debt to be able to pay the price for our sin. Jesus blood is the only way we can be redeemed and forgiven.
2. I Peter 1:18-19, No one will ever have enough silver or gold to redeem themselves.
I. We need to be forgiven of our sin.
A. By Faith
B. By walking in the light
C. By baptism
II. Cleanses our conscience
A. Jesus blood cleanses us. Our sins have been removed from us as far as the east is from the west.
B. We are forgiven. Our conscience no longer accuses us.
III. To redeem us
A. We have all sinned
B. We can’t redeem ourselves